I have slowed down a lot of traveling to be home with my babies as much as possible, but I really used to basically live out of my suitcase! I ALSO used to pack half a house full of luggage every time I went on a trip, but after years of trial and error, I finally figured out how to pack for a trip in one carry-on. That’s right. No checked bags! I get questions about my top travel tips and tricks constantly, so here are a few life savers for me. When you’re always on the move like I am, it’s important to find little ways to make travel less of a hassle, and more of something to enjoy! Traveling is a luxury (even if it’s for a work trip), so the last thing you need is lost luggage or extra airport stress.
Travel Hack: Foooooood!
Whether I’m traveling with Leni or flying solo, bringing protein-packed snacks that keep you full is a MUST. Airport food is expensive and unhealthy and this Mama gets hungry/hangry (hellloooooo #carbloadingforbaby!). I always put MTN OPS powders in small baggies with enough servings measured out for each day of my trip. If you haven’t checked out the new Eva Shockey Line, you need to! It has the perfect combo of Collagen, Super Greens and Protein Powder that help you live your best life!! I’ll also throw a couple protein bars into my bag, along with a bag of jerky, some single-serving almond butter packets and mixed nuts to curb alllll kinds of cravings during travel and also for once I’m at my final destination.
Travel Hack: Luggage and Packing
People leave packing until the last minute because it can feel so overwhelming, but I’m the opposite. I can pack a bag in 20 minutes like a pro, but unpacking it at the end of a trip is a totally different story. Doing laundry is the worst. A few years ago, I started ONLY packing carry-on for 90% of my trips and let me tell you, it is a GAME CHANGER. No more getting to the airport extra early and waiting in long line-ups to check your bags. No more lost luggage. No more waiting at the luggage carousel at your final destination. I check-in online and fly through the airport with just my purse and my carry-on. Tim got me an Away carry-on for my birthday two years ago, and it has a pocket in the front for my laptop and chords and I love it so much that he just ordered a whole set for both of us. It also has an ejectable battery that helps keep my devices charged, (total lifesaver!) and is basically unbreakable. I also suggest doing the following:
- Wear your heaviest footwear (for me it’s always my cowboy boots because these take-up a TON of space!)
- Buy toiletries in travel sizes, or even in refillable travel size bottles (lots of my favorites are listed below!).
- Pack basic colors that can be mixed and matched, so I usually pack black, beige and jean so I can re-wear my same jacket and purse and mix-match outer layers so I don’t need to pack multiples.
- Plan out your outfits for each day/event (plus bring one spare outfit for emergencies).
- Only bring one pair of jeans… these are heavy and take up a lot of space.
- Roll. Your. Clothes. I started doing this and not only does it save space, but it actually keeps things much less wrinkly than if you fold them.
- Pack your toiletries in large Ziploc bags so you can see everything you brought and don’t risk your liquids spilling and make sure all liquids are under 100ml each if they’re going in your carry-on.
- Pack wireless headphones! My favorites are my AirPods.
- Bring a travel pack of Lysol or sanitizing wipes to clean our tray tables.
- DOWNLOAD Audible, and listen to Taking Aim. Thank me later. Ha!
- Pre-load Netflix shows or Amazon video for in-flight entertainment ease (hello, Frozen and Moana for Leni Bow!!)
- If you’re going somewhere international, or into the wilderness, I would HIGHLY advise leaving your wedding rings at home. I always wear my Qalo rings on these kind of trips so I don’t have to worry about losing my expensive jewelry. We just launched my new ES Line, with designs that I got to create, inspired by things I love!!! Check them out here!
Travel Hack: Beauty
Depending on where I’m going, I can get away with bringing pretty basic toiletries and cosmetics and still feel ready for whatever event or trade show I’m doing. I actually have an entire drawer in my bathroom filled with travel-sized products in case I run out of something. I always bring single packs of hydrating face masks, and hydrating under-eye patches because airplanes definitely dry out your skin! When packing lotion or perfume, you can go to a department store and get samples of your favorites, and each sample lasts a couple trips at least! Another cool trick I learned, is to spray a cotton-ball with a few sprays of perfume and then store it in a small Ziploc bag in your suitcase. Just take it out and wipe it along your wrists and return it to the baggie for the perfect amount of scent for a weekend trip! Dry Shampoo is also a major YES! Spray it on your roots and skip having to wash your hair if it’s a quick trip, and it saves you from having to bring all of your hair products! I do this for a one or two night stay a lot of the time, and will usually implement my 4-Minute Mom Bun or a hat for the flight home.
Here are my all-time favorite travel-sized products and gear! Click the thumbnails below to get your paws on them:
Travel Hack: Saving Time
If you can, it’s totally worth it to sign up for TSA Precheck! It costs $85 and is good for 5 years, and it means you get to skip the line! Tim and I have Nexus (the US version is called Global entry), which gives us access to the TSA line and it’s saved me from missing tonssss of flights over the years.
I hope you find these travel hacks to be as helpful as I have throughout the years, and would love to hear yours in the comments below! You should ALWAYS get the chance to enjoy the journey, whether on a brief flight or with anything else you do in life…even though sometimes, it really is about the destination! We’re heading to on a quick trip *cue SCREAMS of joy* soon, and you better believe I am going to work SO hard to pack light… although I’m quite sure I won’t be able to stuff everything into a carry-on. Either way, I can’t WAIT to share our go-tos for all things resorts and more!
Shop my outfit and front door faves below:
See you soon for more blog post fun!