- It’s been awhile since I’ve had a little baby (excuse me while I wipe my tears off my keyboard – Leni is such a big girl now and I’m not ok with it!) but I spent hours upon hours researching baby items before I had Leni because I wanted to get the ‘best of the best’ items so my “new mom” process was as easy as possible since, let’s face it, nothing about being a new mom is easy. I ended up spending way too long researching, and then spending way too much money on stuff that I never ended up needing or using. I wish someone had handed me this list before I let my preggo self go CRAZY at the baby store. So for those of you that are getting ready for a baby or looking for a good gift – here’s a list of my all-time favorite baby items!
1. Diaper Backpack: why did no one warn me that my hands would ALWAYS be full with a newborn?! Shoulder bags make absolutely no sense to me because they’re always slipping off your shoulder or getting in the way, and when you’re carting around a sleeping baby (or a sleeping baby inside a heavy car seat) the last thing you need is to be balancing your diaper bag over one shoulder. Enter: Diaper Backpack. I have this Honest & Co. backpack in black (and plan to get the cognac color too), and have used it daily and it’s still going strong 18 months later. It’s been a serious lifesaver and even has a pocket that’s insulated to keep milk cool for a few hours if you’re on-the-go. As Leni has gotten older and I don’t need to cart around 30,493,049 baby items, I’ve downsized to a smaller shoulder bag or my purse with some snacks and diapers thrown in, but for the first year or so, a backpack is E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.
2. Doona Convertible Carseat-to-Stroller: If I had to pick my favorite item that I used for Leni, this would be it. I can’t explain how bummed I am that she recently grew out of it, because I wish I could use this until she’s 15. If you travel a lot, or just love the idea of only needing a single item instead of a car seat AND a stroller, I cannot recommend this enough. I promise you’ll LOVE it.
3. Wubbanub Pacifier: If you’ve ever seen a photo of Leni, you’ve probably seen this pacifier, because it was attached to her face for the first year of her life. We’ve recently put her Wubbanubs on ‘crib arrest’ so they aren’t allowed out of the crib, but they’re still her favorite. I like them because they have a stuffed animal attached so you don’t lose them as easily, AND it gives her something to snuggle with, too. There are tons of different animals and Leni has them all!
4. Dock-a-Tot: Leni slept in this for the first few months of her life until she started rolling and we loved it. It’s supposed to make babies feel secure and gives parents peace of mind knowing their baby is safe while they sleep. Leni loved it and a lot of my mom friends swear by it. It comes in a bunch of cool designs and colors and it’s definitely worth the price in my opinion!
5. Freshly Picked Moccasins: They’re so cute and they stay on Leni’s feet, so what’s not to like? They’re a little bit expensive, but I usually wait until they go on sale (they’re often on sale for $45 instead of $60 if you follow their IG page!) and they are great quality. These are also GREAT gifts for baby showers or toddler birthdays.
6. Baby Brezza Formula Maker: I know breastfeeding vs. formula feeding is a hot topic for a lot of parents, but I’m a big believer that whatever works for YOU and your baby is the best way. I also had a very hard time nursing (double mastitis, latch problems, milk supply issues… the list goes on!), so I have a new respect for formula feeding because making sure your baby is fed and happy is numero uno. So the Baby Brezza was a Godsend for me (and Leni) when I eventually stopped nursing at six months. It’s basically like a Keurig for babies and makes feeding a breeze…(ha). If your baby drinks formula, do yourself a favor and get one of these!
7. Milk Snob Cover: I love that this doubles as a nursing cover and a car seat cover. It comes in tons of super cute patterns and designs, and I used it religiously when Leni was a little nugget.
8. 4Moms Highchair: It took me forever to decide on a highchair and I ended up going for this one in grey. It’s definitely not the cheapest highchair on the market, but I love it and it blends in with our furniture so it’s not an eyesore in the kitchen. It’s very easy to clean and easy to snap the tray on one-handed. The only thing it doesn’t have, that I wish it did, is wheels, but otherwise I love it!
9. Aden & Anais Sleeping Bag Sleep Sack: This sleep sack is SO soft and comfy, and Leni wears it every night to go to bed. As soon as we pull it out, she knows it’s time for “night-night” and she loves getting zipped in. When she was really small I would swaddle her (my favorite swaddle was the Swaddleme), but once she started rolling we switched her to a sleep sack.
Now that I’m almost 18 months in (you know, basically an expert – ha), I can confidently say that being a parent is TOUGH, but in my experience, it sure helps to have some useful products on hand to make the process a tiny bit easier.
These are some of my personal faves, but let me know what other products you love! Comment below because I know there’s a ton of amazing baby gear out there that other parents would love hearing about.
Leni just woke up from her nap, so I need to run – the quiet house is about to get A LOT busier!