Moving can be the start of a SUPER exciting chapter for some and a nerve-racking experience for others. Some families move right down the street, while others move from one side of the world to the other (like that time Tim and I moved from RUSSIA. Ooooof.) Whether you’re warming the home of good friends or family members, or making your new neighbors feel welcome across the street, I believe kindness is the BEST policy because anyone who is moving is going to feel overwhelmed from all the change, packing, cleaning and organizing!! Tim and I have moved around quite a bit over the years, from Canada to Florida to Pennsylvania while he was playing professional hockey so I definitely know the feeling but I am SO excited to finalllllly move into our forever home this fall! I’ve compiled a list of housewarming gifts that I’ve received from friendly folks overs the years AND love gifting to new homeowners. Fresh cut flowers and baked goods are ALWAYS recommended but if you’re looking to go above and beyond, this list will be sure to make new homes warm and inviting!
- Amazon Gift Card: Everyone can use an Amazon gift card; especially new homeowners or renters!! They can get exactly what they want and need from the site that has EVERYTHING. Include a sweet, hand-written card and I’m sure it will be greatly appreciated.
- Echo Dot: I have the Echo Dot in my house and use it every single day! I use it mainly to play music but occasionally ask Alexa for a weather and news update. Alexa can even control lights, fans, TVs, thermostats, and more.
- Wine Opener: Where are all my wine lovers?! Throw this wine opener and a bottle of wine in a gift bag with tissue paper and voila–you have a housewarming gift and a girl’s night all in one. Cheers!!
- Olive-wood Cheese Knives: These beautiful cheese knives are made out of grained Italian olive wood and would look great with a charcuterie board. Your neighbors will be forever grateful for the fancy appetizer. More cheese, please!
- Bamboo Cutting Board: This isn’t just any cutting board… it’s a magnetic bamboo cutting board! Blow your neighbors away at the next cookout with this grilling gadget. You all can prepare your food right next to the grill without anything sliding around!
- Blonde Wood Pedestals: These rustic paddles are beauuuutiful and can be used to display birthday cakes, fruits, gourmet snacks, and tons more. That’s why it’s the perfect thing for a quality housewarming gift: it’s one of those items you might not get for yourself, but will be obsesssssssed with it once you’ve got it.
- Movie-Night Popcorn Gift Set: Leni and I have movie nights pretttttty often that involve popcorn and treats. I love this gift set because it’s pre-packaged, includes ingredients, and is adorable. Also, the wooden crate is totally reusable!
- Traeger Pro 780 Pellet Grill: I know this is a BIG ticket item but will be insanely appreciated by new homeowners and I bet you’ll get invited back for allllll the BBQ parties in the future–ha! It’s also a great gift from wife to husband (or vice versa) if you are getting settled into a new home.
- Magnolia Table: A Collection of Recipes for Gathering: This recipe book stays on my kitchen counter at all times. It is FULL of amazing recipes that call for everyday ingredients yet are sophisticated. Gift wrap this book and deliver it with a homemade meal (like my wild-game meatloaf) so your neighbors can take a quick break from moving boxes.
- Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up: Who watched Marie Kondo’s Netflix show, “Tidying Up”? She has a million ways to save space and stay organized whether you live in an house, apartment or condo. We could all use a little Marie in our lives.
- The Home Edit: A Guide to Organizing and Realizing Your House Goals: I LOVE being and feeling organized in my home: from labeling my pantry to Leni’s toys to my home-office…it’s definitely my thing. This book has some fantastic ideas and makes a wonderful present for anyone interested in tidying up a new space.
- The Growing Candle:This is the gift that keeps on giving! The Growing Candle smells AMAZING and is scented with pure organic fragrance. Another amazing thing is that the label around “The Growing Candle” is embedded with wildflower seeds. All you do is plant the label into the container after the wax is gone. How cool is that?!
- Further Glycerin Hand Soap: This soap smells SO fresh, clean, and will leave hands moisturized. This gift is perfect and simple!
- Faux Fern Wreath: I’m obsessed with this wreath because it can be used ANY time of year. It will add a touch of greenery to your neighbor’s home which can be hung on a window, wall, or front door.
Bins and Baskets: Baskets, baskets, and more baskets! These are sleek, chic, and have that farmhouse-inspired look. I have these in both the large and small sizes and use for organizing all sorts of items from baby gear to bathroom accessories. Throw in a blanket or towel and this gift will be complete!
Flannel and Faux-Shearling Blanket: Speakinggggg of blankets–I have blankets in every room of my house because they are home-y and add texture to my couches and chairs. Also, fall is quickly approaching–so it will be perfect if your friends or neighbors are moving during the colder months.
- Hello Door Mat: You’ve probably seen me post this door mat on a handful of Friday Finds and gift guides for awhile now but it’s still my FAV! It’s soooo welcoming and matches any exterior!
- Mason Jar Hummingbird Feeder: There are a TON of hummingbirds that fly up to my house from time to time and are truly amazing to watch. They pack so much speed into that little body. This mason jar hummingbird feeder will add a vintage flare to your neighbor’s yard.
39-Piece Tool Set: This may not be the most glamorous gift but it has all the essentials for when you move and need to make small repairs around the house. Don’t forget to offer a helping hand for hanging pictures and measuring. It could mean the world to someone to have the help!
Rope Hammock: Who doesn’t love taking a load off and lounging by the lake, garden, or beach?! This gorgeous hammock is made of solid southern white oak spreader bars–and it’s even made in the USA, so the quality is not compromised.
I LOVE making everyone feel welcome: whether it’s gifting an item, a simple hand wave from across the street or hosting a welcome party. If it puts a smile on someone’s face then everyone is winning!! Do you have any housewarming gifts that you’ve received and LOVED?! Has anyone moved and became best friends with their neighbors?! What’s YOUR moving story?! Let me know in the comments!!