If you’re looking for the PERFECT Valentine’s Day Treat to make with your kids (or just an easy recipe to make for yourself – this is a judgment-free zone), look no further, I’ve got you covered! These Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Hearts are seriously SO good and so easy and based on how quickly these were gone, I’d say everyone in our house approves. Cooking and baking with a little one isn’t always easy, but it’s ALWAYS worth attempting in my opinion–even if all you make are messes and memories! I can remember being in the kitchen with my mom when I was young and I love that Leni is getting to share those same memories with me now. So here we go, this recipe is worth falling for, and it’s sooooo much fun to decorate with a 2 year-old. Instant daymaker!!
As a bonus to these being THE BOMB, you can adjust the sprinkle colors and make a fun, quick dessert for any holiday throughout the year–or literally JUST because they’re so stinkin’ good and you want to eat them over and over!!
Peanut Butter Rice-Krispie Hearts
- 6 Tbsp. Butter
- 6 Cups Mini Marshmallows
- 6 Cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1/2 Cup of Peanut Butter
- Melting chocolate
- Red and pink sprinkles
- Melt the butter in a medium pan on medium heat.
- Add Mini Marshmallows, stir these AND add in peanut butter until they are completely melted.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add the Rice Krispie Cereal and mix until the cereal is completely coated with the Marshmallow Mixture.
- Spoon into a 9×11″ baking dish.
- Press down into the dish (hint: use the back of a wet spoon to make this step easier!)
- Allow to cool.
- While Rice Krispie treats are cooling, melt the chocolate in the microwave (carefully, so it doesn’t burn) or set a heat-proof bowl over the mouth of a pot with an inch of water in the bottom of the pot. Make sure the bowl of chocolate doesn’t touch the water. Heat on medium-low and stir until melted. (If my instructions don’t make sense, click here for a full Chocolate Melting 101 tutorial).
- Cut Rice Krispies into heart shapes using cookie cutters (hint: wet the cookie cutter each time to make it easier!)
- Stick a treat/lollipop stick into the bottom and then dip half of the heart (or the full heart, in Leni’s case) into the chocolate, and let your little helper sprinkle away while the chocolate is wet!
- Set on parchment paper to dry.
- DEVOUR these insanely addicting Valentine’s Day treats!!
These were the absolute PERFECT Valentine’s Day treat to make with Leni, and they have the fun added bonus of peanut butter which means they’ve got a good bit of protein they wouldn’t have had otherwise. Toddler parents, I KNOW you’re with me when I say sometimes you have to be sneaky to get the good stuff in your babies! My mom used to always sneak healthy food into not-so-healthy food and now that I’m a mom, I find myself doing the same thing. I guess Nana Weezy was onto something!?
What’s your favorite Valentine’s Day treat? Are there any others I should be making with Leni Bow soon?! If you’re looking for another fun holiday recipe, you could easily convert my No Bake Easter Nests into Valentine’s theme but substituting the Easter eggs for pink & red jellybeans or heart candies! Let me know if you try these recipes!
See you back here next week with another of my fave Valentine’s Day treats!
And as always, my uber talented friend, Jennifer, needs a mention for all the beautiful photos so takes for this blog!!!