I have so many exciting things I want to blog about, but I decided to launch the blog this week specifically because Easter is coming and you seriously need these chocolatey treats in your life! For real though, how cute are these!?! I’m the girl who will jump at any excuse to eat chocolate so when it comes to favorite holidays, Easter is a no-brainer!
Life can get CRAZY so I’m a sucker for quick and easy recipes, especially when it’s a holiday season with lots of gatherings and potluck dinners. If you’ve been following me on social media, you probably know that I love whipping up delicious food for friends and family, but sometimes it’s hard to carve out enough time to make it happen. Over the last few years, my life has picked up speed (just to name a few: baby, husband, jobs, travel, house build, woof!), so I’ve learned to simplify my cooking so I can have time for all the other important things in life. Bring on the Betty Crocker cake mix from time to time – this is a no-mom-guilt-zone!
Most of the recipes that I cook and post about tend to be health-oriented (think: protein pancakes and my favorite wild game marinades – coming soon to the blog!) and these Easter Nests won’t win an award in the nutrition department but they’re quick, only have a few ingredients, and everyone LOVES them! I brought these to a party last week and they were such a hit. Sometimes you just need to throw a curveball at your diet and embrace the holiday season!
Part of the reason I love holidays is because I LOVE cooking for people. My kitchen is my happy place. I grew up watching my mom cook, and I’ve grown to love it over the years. There’s something rewarding about creating a meal from a bunch of random ingredients and then watching people enjoy it. Right now we’re in the process of building our forever-home (details coming soon to my blog!) and you better believe that my kitchen is going to be A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! My number one request is that it has a HUGE island for entertaining so people can gather around while I cook and I can still be part of the action – I have serious FOMO and hate missing out on any fun. Speaking of fun…
Not only are these nests easy to make (major plus!), but it’s really fun to include your kids in the process of making these treats. Not to mention there are no raw eggs or salmonella-inducing ingredients, so you can taste test as you go! Leni is only 14 months old, so she’s a little young for helping in the kitchen (unless you consider emptying all my kitchen drawers and cupboards to be helpful), but even she enjoyed being part of the process and getting her hands messy. I had to confine her to her highchair so I didn’t end up with food on my ceiling, but it turns out she likes chocolate just as much as her mama!
- 5 cups chocolate chips or melting wafers (your choice of dark, milk, or white chocolate)
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup almond butter (optional)
- 1 bag of Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Melt chocolate chips/wafers over low heat. You can melt them in the microwave (just be careful not to burn it!) or you can bring an inch of water to a simmer in a saucepan and put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl in the mouth of the pot. Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water or it could burn. Stir occasionally until completely melted. Note: I put a small Le Creuset pot with the chocolate in it inside a larger Le Creuset pot and it worked great!
- Add almond butter if desired.
- Once melted, stir in oats and coconut flakes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Lay wax paper on a baking sheet so the chocolate doesn’t stick, and create nests with your hands.
- Place a few mini eggs in each nest.
- Eat them ALL!
Who could not love chocolate on top of chocolate!? If you get a chance to make these, let me know what you think and post them over on my Facebook page!
What are your favorite Easter treats? Share them with us below!
I hope you have a Hoppy Easter,