February 22, 2021
You probably already know how much the outdoors mean to me and my family. I grew up on Vancouver Island in Canada which was the COOLEST place to truly appreciate nature and everything it has to offer. I never had to go looking for adventures because hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, you name it, was always right at my fingertips and I LOVED that. This lifestyle really stuck with me, and now Tim and I are teaching our own little family to do the same! Even our forever home is inspired by our love for the outdoors. I get asked a TON of the same outdoor-related questions on my social pages (Instagram, Facebook and Twitter) from new and old followers alike, so I wanted to put this blog post together so YOU have all the facts, answers, and questions about me all in one place!!
2) Which do you prefer for hunting- gun or bow? I literally cannot choose. I grew up shooting a gun and that?s how I learned to hunt, but fell in love with bow hunting in the last handful of years. They are both amazing for different reasons. Hunting with a gun gives you a lot more flexibility, range, and often higher success rates which is great if you?re filling the freezer. On the other hand, archery is a lot harder (for me) but when everything on a a bow hunt comes together it is one of the best feelings in the worlddddd.
3) What bow do you shoot? Eva Signature Signature Series 60 lb limbs (this bow comes 40, 50, 60 lb limbs plus comes in the option for left and right handed shooters).
4) What is your draw weight on your bow? I pull 54 lbs at the moment, but it really can vary depending on how much quality time I get with it.
5) What gun do you use? I have a couple different guns from Daniel Defense that I use depending on the hunt, but on my hunting trip to Hawaii I used the Daniel Defense Delta 5 Bolt-Action Rifle.
6) How old were you when you started hunting? I went on my first big game hunt in Africa when I was 20 with my Dad. Although I grew up going on tons of hunts with my family, I was always just the observer until that fateful hunt!!
7) Who got you into hunting? Definitely my Dad, Jim Shockey, but traditionally all of the men in my family have been hunters. I was the first woman in my family to start and I’m obviously reeeealllly hoping it will get passed down to Leni!
8) Do you only hunt on camera or do you hunt by yourself? My family business is outdoor television, so I started hunting on camera. I have only hunted once without a film crew. It is just part of what I do and I love sharing the experience with others so I would not trade it for anything!
9) What trail cams do you use? Stealth Cam everyttttthinnnng. They always take the sharpest photos no matter the conditions. They have a brand new one that sends the images straight to your phone remotely!
10) Why did you decide to start hunting? I wrote the full story in my book Taking Aim from non-hunter to hunter if you want to hear ALL the details! In short, I grew up eating mostly wild game and once I went away to college in Australia (and didn’t have access to wild game) I realized how important it was for me to know where my meat came from. I decided to start hunting and filling my freezer instead of being reliant on others and I’ve never once regretted it.
11) What is your favorite place to hunt? My favorite place on earth to hunt is in the Yukon, Canada. I visit nearly every fall with my Dad (minus this year because of babies!). It is the most incredible place I have ever been to or could even imagine going to. We are a two hour float plane ride from the nearest civilization, and it is as pure as nature can get out there. On top of the beautiful location, getting to hunt moose and mountain caribou is a dream come true.
12) What is your favorite animal to hunt? As much as I love hunting moose, caribou, deer, etc. my favorite animal to hunt is elk during the rut. Partly because they bugle back and forth which is exciting, and partly because it is in the mountains which I love. Elk is also my favorite wild game to grill on the Traeger!
13) Are you going to teach Leni and Boone how to hunt? We have already taken Leni to multiple hunting camps and included the outdoors as a big part of her upbringing and plan to do the same with Boone. In saying that, if one or both of them decide not to hunt that is totally fine but we will definitely teach them to appreciate animals and where their meat comes from. Leni already loves fishing and seems to be on track with joining us in the deer stand, so I won’t be surprised if Boone is the same.
14) How do you keep your energy levels up on long hunts? I LOVE all things MTN OPS–especially the Ignite Trail Packs. They come in a couple different flavors (new bugle berry flavor is SO good!). I just throw them in my backpack and mix with water: just like that, I’m ready to keep going and going.
15) What is your favorite wild game recipe? Thats easy…Elk Jalapeno Poppers!
17) Does Tim hunt and did he hunt before you met? Tim does hunt and he loves it!! He was a hunter well before meeting me – we actually first met at a hunting expo in Raleigh, North Carolina almost seven years ago.
18) What silicone rings do you wear? Tim and I both wear the Eva Shockey Collection rings that we designed with the QALO Team (with NEW designs launching this Spring!!) They are PERFECT for hunting, fishing, working-out and/or if your profession is extremely hands on such as law enforcement or military. I also wore them A LOT when I was pregnant with Boone because of swelling and Tim has completely replaced his actual wedding band and just wears Qalo rings on the daily.
19) Does your Mom hunt? My mama/Nana Weezy actually does not hunt. She never has and probably never will. She was a vegetarian when she met my Dad, but she respects hunting and the field-to-table lifestyle and it’s given me a good balance and helped me respect different points of view when it comes to hunting.
20) Does your family fish? Yes, we love it! I grew up fishing off the West Coast of Canada and when I met Tim, he taught me to love freshwater bass fishing. I have only been fly fishing a couple times but would absolutely LOVE to get better at it.
21) Have you always used Leupold binos? YES! My Dad has been using them for FOREVER (literally for 30+ years of his hunting career) so I’ve been on TEAM LEUPOLD since day one. They are the best of the best, and they have such an extensive line you can get a pair that fits your needs and price range. I personally love the Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD Binos.
Did I cover all of your questions?! Did I miss any?? Let me know in the comments and I’ll do another round-up in the future. You guys are THE BEST and thanks so much for following along on all my adventures!!
Photo Credit: the amazing Brynn Gross!
Keep everyone in the loop by sharing this post: