June 13, 2019
One thing North Carolina has no shortage of is trails for hiking: and even though I’ve got a shortage of time for it these days, it is something I absolutely LOVE doing. Hiking is the perfect, low-stress outdoor activity that anyone can participate in–from age 2 to 92, there’s a trail out there in the great outdoors that is perfect for someone who is interested! Like with anything else, though, preparation is KEY!! That’s why I’ve put together this edition of Friday Finds around hiking, and helping you make sure you’ve got the best gear possible.
1. Hiking Boots (Men’s): A good shoe is essential to actually enjoying your hike, and these are some of the best (so I’ve heard!!) for men at a really good price.
2. Hiking Boots (Women’s): I can attest to these being super comfortable–and while “comfort” isn’t always synonymous with being outdoors, your shoes should support you and fit you well!!
3. Hiking Socks (Men’s): Men’s feet tend to get sweatier, so maybe bring two extra pairs for the trail, just in case.
4. Hiking Socks (Women’s): Keeping your feet warm and dry is essential to not being miserable during a hike: pack an extra pair in your bag in case your feet do get wet!!
5. Hiking Sneakers (Men’s): These are super lightweight and durable shoes, and they’re well-rated for a reason.
6. Shoe Insoles (Unisex): Again: comfort. So many outdoor activities are made that much more enjoyable with the proper gear, and taking care of your feet is something I am always advocating for as a former dancer and current always-on-my-feet-crazy-lady.
7. RX Bars: RX Bars are some of my favorites because they are soooooo good and so free of lots of preservatives and chemicals we try to avoid. They’re also pretty filling, so this is a win-win!
8. First-Aid Kit: Preparedness again: you hope you’ll never need half the stuff in a first-aid kit, but you want to have the kit on hand no matter what. Accidents happen, and it’s best to be ahead of the game.
9. Trail Mix: I absolutely LOVE Boom Chicka Pop, and this trail mix makes the trail itself feel a bit more luxurious–besides, you should always come prepared with plenty of food and water!
10. Hiking Pants (Women’s): I love a durable, lightweight pair of hiking pants. Good ones are hard to come by, so snag these (that are actually pretty cute on!!) while you can!
11. Backpack: Unless you’re going on a super quick hike (like, in a local park or something) then a backpack like this one is absolutely essential! It’s lightweight and has plenty of room to store the other goodies you’ll need for an enjoyable and prepared hike.
12. Binoculars:I absolutely love pretty much everything Leupold makes, but these binos are well worth the investment for the avid outdoorsman/woman… you never know when you might need to glass across a valley!
13. Water Bottle: This should prooooobably go without saying, but I’ll say this: a good water bottle will be like your BFF anytime you’re outdoors during this time of year, and if you’ve got it filled up or have a way to replenish it you’ll be set.
14. YETI Backpack Cooler: If you’re going for a hike with your fam (which you totally should!!) and want to pack a picnic lunch, this is the perfect way to do that and keep all of your perishables nice and cold for the end of your trek.
15.MTNOPS Ignite Trail Packs:These trail packs are legit lifesavers–they’re right up there with the first-aid kit for me. Ha–kidding: but seriously, these little packs from MTNOPS give the best energy and focus that enables me to truly enjoy and endure any circumstance outdoors. The fact that they taste good is a nice cherry on top!
16. Beef Jerky: Sustenance in the form of beef jerky?! Yes. Please. This is my FAVORITE beef jerky that isn’t homemade, and we take it with us basically anytime we leave home.
17. Multi-Tool: You never know what you’ll encounter on the trail or hiking in the woods, so I guess the theme of this week’s Friday Finds is really about preparedness: a multi-tool can help you set up camp, rig a fishing hook, or repair gear if you need to. Trust me: this one is a solid option.
18. Hiking Shirt (Men’s): This is another great option for the heat of summer–this shirt will keep you cool but protected from the elements all at the same time.
Where are your favorite hiking spots? I am always on the hunt for new hiking locales, and especially family-friendly ones!! Let me know in the comments below, and as always please tell me what you’d like to see in future Friday Finds!
Keep everyone in the loop by sharing this post: