Even though we are being inundated with news and stressors right now, I’m doing my best to keep things as simple as possible–this means (sometimes!) tuning out, doing my part by staying home and loving on my babies, and taking great care to make sure the things I post and share are helpful or relevant in some way. Because of this, I wanted to quickly share with y’all alllll the ways I am doing that and striving to keep things simple.
- Audit your influences: go through social media and unfollow anyone who makes you feel bad about yourself. Follow people/brands that send a positive message, entertain, uplift or educate you, otherwise it’s time to part ways. Honestly, I unfollow people constantly and it’s not personal. Maybe their feed makes me play the comparison game. Maybe their content makes me anxious. Maybe I used to have something in common with them but we’ve grown apart, and hey, THAT’S OK! We’re probably all doing a little extra scrolling on social media these days, so make sure whatever content you’re digesting is making your day brighter!
- Tidy clutter: removing unnecessary clutter, one small space at a time will make you feel so much calmer! You can set a timer for 5 minutes and make it your mission (and challenge your kiddos, too!! If I tell Leni to race me to do ANYTHING, homegirl is all about it, hah) to put away toys, dishes from the drying rack, or fold a couple of pieces of laundry. Doing this several times a day might be your ticket to a simpler routine and an extra slice of sanity during what miiiight be the craziest time ever.
- Choose 3 things a day to accomplish, not 30! It is SO unrealistic to expect yourself to operate at your usual speed during a pandemic. Go ahead, I give you permission to be optimally PRODUCTIVE and not just busy.
- Prioritize your time: your day is a pie. A delicious, amazing pie–look at it this way and not a mountain to be climbed or a battle to be faced. Pick one thing from each of your roles (professional/family/personal) and determine what matters most on this day, and designate each portion accordingly. We ALL have a lot of balls in the air right now, but we have to realize that some of those are made of plastic and not glass–if you drop the ball on one thing that isn’t a priority, it won’t be the end of the world.
- Go back to basics. Unplug. Set time aside to be outside/be quiet/be without screens every. single. day. Put your toes in the grass or stick your head out of the window if grass isn’t an option. The sun has shown us that it’s ready to bring warmth and happiness and alllll the good things spring and summer bring–except for pollen if you live in the South. Here’s your allergy meds reminder, too.
What’s your favorite way to unwind? I’m hoping and praying for everyone that we’re all able to sneak in some simplification as this global situation seeks to remind us to do what matters most: living simply, loving greatly, and knowing we’re all in this together.
See you soon for recipes, home decor, tips and more!!